Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lingerie - A Lingering Quandary

If you are bigger than a size 12, you know that finding sexy, comfortable lingerie is nearly impossible. Especially bras. I mean, if God is going to give us these body parts, you would think he'd given some entrepreneur the brilliant idea of making well-fitting bras for women of all shapes and sizes. I'm still waiting for that entrepreneur.

If you hit one of the major department stores, you'll find sizes ranging from 38B, 36D (I wish), 32A, or somewhere in between. If you fall into these categories, you have a wide selection or gorgeous, sexy bras and panties, usually matching equally sexy thongs or boy shorts. Bright pink with sunflowers, sexy black with flirty pink lace - yeah, whatever you want, you got it. Then you have the racks right next to those; the ones I dub the "grandma" aisle. You know, the over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders worn by all grandmas. These things come in sizes like 50FFF, and 48Z, in colors like off white and puce.

BUT, if you happen to be a big girl - again, above the size of 12 - yet don't have jumbo jigglers, you're screwed. Our selection is so limited it nearly doesn't exist. Try something for me - walk into somewhere like Macy's or even a "big girl" store like Avenue and ask for a 42B. They give you the puzzled look. "What do you mean" they ask. I mean, I am a chunky girl with skinny girl boobs - yeah, I know, sick joke. (Again, thanks God)

They look at my bust, now thrust out as far as possible (which is to say, about the size of my palm) and say "surely you can fit into a C." Nope, I can't. So they go with you to scrounge through bra sizes to try and find the one B available. It's usually a 38B. Sometimes they'll find a 40B and hold it up triumphantly and say "see!" Of course, this means I have to tell her I really need a 44B but settle for the 42B because you can find those once in awhile.

So, I sit here in my too-tight 40B white bra yearning for a cute little blue number with purple polka dots. Tomorrow I might wear my basic black cotton bra or maybe my one "cute" bra which is a lacy pink number. But even that one is not cute.

Fat-girl Bra Entrepreneur...where are you?

No comments: