Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Can you still wear your prom dress?




I lost some weight once. It involved a lot of running. I mean a lot. The thing is, I was only a size 14 running three miles a day and working out. Who has time for that? Who has the knees for that?

There seems to be some pride in being able to fit into your prom dress past the age of 30. I can, but I’m one of the lucky ones who has never been thin. I can only imagine the horror and dismay of waking up one day to find a fat you in the mirror when you’re used to thin you. Size 18 at 18 to size 18 at 32. The prom dress was green velvet with palazzo pants. Comfort and class, I strive for you always.

I’m not saying I don’t have the typically broad range of size in the closet. What sizable lass hasn’t rocked a size 14 one year to find herself in a 20 the next? Or to give away the 22s swearing she would never see 2X in the label again.

If I lose weight these days, I don’t give clothes to Goodwill. I give them to friends and relatives so I can visit them. Pinstripe capris went to Mom. Boatneck sweater to the best friend. Mod flower print dress to the sister-in-law as soon as I see her next. It’s not so much that I hope to get these back, as I want to know these clothes have found a safe size 16 home.

It isn’t all about the clothes, though. It’s the attitude. I’m less impressed by Jillian Michaels yelling at me than I am by the woman I saw on the beach in Nice, France, 1998, with the golden tan, golden bikini, and golden hair—coming in at probably 250 pounds. She was full of life, surrounded by kids and sun. Confidence, my friends, if we can carry confidence, we can carry any weight. 

1 comment:

Jackie said...

To answer your question - no, I cannot still wear my prom dress (and I graduated almost 10 years ago). Why you ask? Well because I did Adkins for 6 months, lost about 50 pounds to fit into said dress. Then at the post prom party I ate a bagel and promptly gained 75 pounds.