Saturday, August 21, 2010

I'll Have a #1 with a Diet Coke

Like most Americans, I occasionally partake in fast food. It's terrible for us, and if you don't eat it within the first 10 minutes, you can taste all the congealed saturated fat, grease, and other disgusting ingredients.

Worse than that, however, are the judging looks I get from customers and staff alike. This usually only happens when you're in the eatery rather than in your car. The blissful disguise of a seat belt, an awkward angle, and someone too busy to notice leaves the staff not caring what you look like. But, when you walk into a McDonald's (or Burger King, or Wendy's...) and order a #1 meal with a diet coke, they look at you in disbelief.

A friend finally asked me, "Why do you order a diet drink if you're just going to put all those calories into your body, anyway?" Wait, that's what all the looks are about? It's not because a chunky girl is ordering fattening and unhealthy food?

I order a Diet Coke because I prefer the taste. No, it's not some sort of last-ditch effort for the diet I started that morning (and the one I'll start tomorrow morning, and the morning after...). I just prefer the taste of artificial sweetener over regular sugar. At least with my drinks. My oreo McFlurrys better have a ton of sugar and cream in them, thank you.

And why do I prefer the taste? It's because all those years ago, I started drinking diet pop over regular because at that time, I was trying to cut down on calories. I was trying to lose weight and avoid sugary foods. When all my other tactics failed - stop eating cheese, baked goods, so much wine, etc. - the taste of diet stuck. And now it's here to stay.

So, all you co-fast food eaters: Don't judge me because I'm getting a Diet Coke with my Big Mac. I like the taste. And I don't care if you think it's weird, or if you think I should get a salad with my Diet Coke. Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I don't have preferences, that I eat everything in the most unhealthy manner possible. I don't comment when you're eating your disgusting Mac & Cheese from a box, or gloppy, tasteless spaghetti. Let us fat girls have our diet drink with our fattening food, and we'll let you have your rabbit food at a steakhouse.

1 comment:

Elena said...

i order diet coke too not because i like the taste of it better but only because i think of avoiding extra sugar a regular coke offers. This is the least i can do. Only if they offered diet food too as good in taste as the regular one