Monday, August 9, 2010

Ashley Falcon, Have You Cornered the Market?

Ashley Falcon, have you beaten us to the fat girl - excuse me, "big girl" - market? Who are you, and how did you read my mind? Better yet, how did you get picked up by Marie Claire magazine as the voice for any woman who has been described as chunky, chubby, big, fleshy, big-boned, heavyset, heavier, obese, thick, a little extra, BBW, and any other synonym of fat?

I don't read a lot of fashion magazines. In fact, I don't read a lot of magazines, period. I prefer elevated literature such as gossip blogs and trashy romance novels. So as I was getting my feet done today (one of the few non-discriminatory things in which a fat girl can partake), I picked up one of the old Marie Claire's laying around. I've been meaning to read Marie Claire since I discovered my secret obsession, TV show Project Runway. (A raise of hands, please, for those of you on the edge of your seats each week waiting for Heidi Klum to pronounce Marie Claire's fashion editor's name..."Neeeenah Gah-seee-ah" with that short, clipped German accent.)

Back to the point. I'm flipping through and I see this little one-pager entitled "Big Girl in a Skinny World." It was a little fashion piece written by "big girl" Ashley Falcon. Lo and behold, she was talking about wearing a properly fitting bra! I guess we chunks think alike.

This made me wonder - do you have the "fat girl" market cornered, Ashley Falcon? Are you ready to let it all hang out? Are you ready to talk about the worst dates you've ever been on, what it's like to sleep with a man you think you might crush, just how jiggly your jelly gets? Well, I'm ready. So bring it, Ashley Falcon. Sure, you know how to dress. You know how to show off all those luscious curves. But this girl knows how to, in the words of Tim Gunn, make it work.

3 comments:

KSol said...

I see you went with the vertical stripe layout. Sassy and slimming.

Jackie said...

I adore Ashley Falcon. She is one of the reasons I renewed my subscription! If only I was a fat girl with a disposable income. Fat girls at Target are screwed (and by fat girls at Target, I mean me).

Sass-afras said...

Have you noticed Target's size 18 and 20 are more like 14 and 16? It's all super small.